Extra dietary protein such as protein powders, drinks and bars are now in the mainstream and offering us the choice to consume protein more efficiently and conveniently. Until recently, protein powders were associated with bodybuilding and ‘big muscles’ and for the rest of us, especially for women, who exercise regularly the fear of ‘bulking up’ stopped us reaching for a protein shake. But the perception is changing and it’s now widely known that protein is essential to repair muscle tissue after exercise and improve recovery. There is a wide variety of products available now offering protein for muscle recovery, weight loss and general wellbeing. Protein is for everyone, so here are 5 facts you didn’t know about protein.
- Protein alone doesn’t build muscle
- Women can use protein to achieve fitness goals
- Protein is essential for older people
- Protein shakes are more convenient and efficient
- You need protein for your immune system